Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tasting - Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Brut

Name: Vueve Clicquot Ponsardin Brut
Variety: Champagne (Chardonnay, Pinot Meunier, Pinot Noir)
Region: Champagne growing region of France
Country: France
Year: 2007
Price: $45

Online Review(via wineaccess.com): Bright yellow-gold.  Poached pear and candied citrus fruits on the nose, which shows notes of spun sugar and toffee.  Sweet orchard and pit fruit flavors are slightly cloying and loose-knit, with slow-mounting spiciness.  Finishes on a warm note, with decent length and a suggestion of candied orange.

My Review: I tasted this wine after a friend got a new job offer and was celebrating with a more expensive bottle of champagne. I was definitely interested to see how it compared to cheaper versions! The aroma was definitely interesting, with a fruity apple smell, but also a yeasty bread nose. The flavor was dry but rich and I could definitely detect the apple and bready flavors in the champagne. I could tell the difference in that this is a much better champagne than what I have tasted previously. I tasted this with several cheeses and fruits that were appetizers and it was interesting how cheddar made it a little more sour, whereas it was sweeter with gouda and bleu cheese. I would love to try this again with fish or even brunch dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment